2022 Health Mart Pharmacy of the Year
Who better than fellow pharmacists to judge which pharmacy is the best of the year? This year, community pharmacy attendees at McKesson ideaShare met the top finalists for the prize and voted for their choice. They chose to name Bunch Pharmacy from Guntersville, AL, as the 2022 Health Mart Pharmacy of the Year.
Bunch Pharmacy, Guntersville, AL
Health Mart since 2008
Owned by Buddy Bunch, R.PH., PIC
- Worked with state legislators to pass the Patient’s Right to Choose law protecting patients and community pharmacies from pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) overreach
- Served several offices in the Alabama Pharmacy Association including President and as President of the Alabama State Board of Pharmacy
- Honored with the Bowl of Hygeia award in 2016
“We made home visits and parking lot trips to administer flu and COVID-19 shots. Our patients appreciated us for being there for them and thanked us many times for our service through those trying times…I try to instill in my team the desire to serve, whether it is in the community or as simple as helping a customer find the product they need.”
– Buddy Bunch
MEET THE OTHER FINALISTS
Family Pharmacy, Carol Stream, IL
Health Mart since 2007
Owned by Nancy and Phil Thomas, PIC
Why They’re Nominated
- Personal attention, 364 days a year; a person ALWAYS answers the phone during business hours
- Hosts “Fridays with Phil” on YouTube providing information and advice to patients
- Phil is a frequent speaker at universities and other venues
“We strive to have the best customer service and patient care in the area. Often patients come to us when they are frustrated with the local chain pharmacies. Our job is to take them on as customers and to provide better patient care than they were receiving previously. Odds are when a patient likes our service, they will tell their friends and family about us.”
– Phil Thomas
Sam’s Pharmacy, Moberly, MO
Health Mart since 2011
Family owned and operated by Sam & Christian Tadrus, Pharm.D.
- Board member of NCPA and CPESN, past-President Missouri Pharmacy Association and Missouri State Board of Pharmacy, currently Vice-President of Missouri State Board of Pharmacy, board member and current Chair of Strategic Planning for NCPDP
- Missouri Joint Oversight Task Force for Prescription Drug Monitoring
- Participant, Credentialing and Dispenser Workgroups (PDG)
“For marketing, we make old-fashioned face-to-face visits to local prescribers. But we’ve also had success with digital ads utilizing geofencing to trigger push notifications for special offers when customers are in the vicinity of the pharmacy…We focus on predictive ordering of inventory, plus we’ve increased data mining of our dispensing records.”
— Christian Tadrus
ABOUT PHARMACY OF THE YEAR
It takes a lot of hard work to be considered the best of the nearly 5,000 Health Mart pharmacies. Each year McKesson and Health Mart award a pharmacy that is not only a top performer, but is consistent, passionate about the field of pharmacy, displays a drive for innovation, and most of all, serves as a fierce defender of their community’s health.
McKesson has been awarding a Pharmacy of the Year for more than 20 years, honoring the best in community pharmacies across the United States.